A fast-food chain customer claims she got a shock after her takeaway order was delivered and she was sent a deep-fried towel instead of a portion of fried chicken.
Alique Perez ordered food from Jollibee in the Philippines but when it arrived and she tried to cut some chicken up for her son, she found something “really disturbing”.
In a viral post on Facebook, the mum explained: “Just something that frustrated me this late.
“We had Jollibee delivered via grab. Ordered chicken for my son, while I was trying to get him a bite, I found it super hard to even slice. Tried opening it up with my hands and to my surprise a deep-fried towel.
“This is really disturbing… How the hell do you get the towel in the batter and even fry it!?!?”
She went on to say how she’d always thought that people complaining about finding ‘weird stuff’ in their food were made up but now realises that couldn’t be further from the truth.
“Now I know that it really happens,” she wrote. “So disgusting and embarrassing… to think that you’re even branched in BGC. There’s a first for everything. And this has been the worst first!
“Calming myself down for this… But WTH.”
She added that many other meals from the restaurant might have been affected by the towel.
“The essence of the towel contaminated the oil and the batter from the supplier so how many chickenjoys are affected? We won’t know..”
The post has gone viral over the last few days, garnering over 97,000 reactions, thousands of comments and being shared over 86,000 times.
Jollibee have since shared a statement on the matter, saying they had been forced to close the branch in Bonifacio Global City for three days, starting from June 3, in order to “review its compliance with procedures” and “retrain its store team”.
The full statement reads: “This concerns the customer complaint on food ordered late evening of June 1 from a franchised store in Bonifacio Global City. We are deeply concerned about this matter and have conducted a thorough investigation of the incident.
“It is unfortunate that deviations from Jollibee’s standard food preparation procedures occurred on the part of certain personnel of the store.
“As a result of this incident, we have directed the Jollibee Bonifacio – Stop Over branch to close for three days starting tomorrow, June 3, to thoroughly review its compliance with procedures and retrain its store team to ensure that this will not happen again.
“We will also send out reminders to all stores to ensure the strict adherence to Jollibee’s food preparation systems.”
They continued to say: “Jollibee has carefully developed and complied with food preparation systems to ensure that we deliver excellent quality products and customer satisfaction. We will continue to endeavor to deliver on the high standards we have set for ourselves and our franchisees.
“We at Jollibee are committed to take the necessary steps to maintain the trust and loyalty that our customers have given to us throughout the years.”